Education in Tamil Nadu
The Government of Tamil Nadu has introduced a new Board for school education “Directorate of Government Examinations, Tamil Nadu”. This board was formed by merging the two boards i.e. (1) Board of Secondary Education and (2) Board of Higher Secondary Examinations. Board is responsible for conducting secondary and higher secondary examinations in the State. The Directorate has 7 regional offices at Madurai, Tiruchirappalli, Coimbatore, Chennai, Tirunelveli, Vellore and Cuddalore.
Establishment: The Directorate of Government Examinations came into existence in February 1975. It conducted the first secondary school leaving certificate examination in the year 1911. Board conducts other examinations also, such as Matriculation, Anglo-Indian, Higher Secondary, SSLC etc.
TN Board Details
[table id=20 /]
TN Board Main Functions/ Duties
- Issue affiliations to the new schools.
- Collect data of the students who are appearing in the examinations.
- Decide examination centers to conduct the examination.
- Prepare and distribute the question papers to the exam centers.
- Conduct examinations for private students.
- Prepare exam results on the basis of candidate’s performance in the examination.
- Declare the examination results.
Tamil Nadu Board Contact Details
VASUNDARADEVI, M.A.,M.Ed., M.Phil.,
Director of Government Examinations,
College Road, DPI Campus, Nungambakkam,
Chennai – 600 006, Ph No: 28272088, 28269982