Department of Higher Education: The National Scholarship Portal (NSP) is a one-stop solution through which various services start for student application, application receipt etc. The Department of Higher Education is one of the Central Schemes and under this scheme, the scholarship which is available is Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship For College And University Students.
The objective of this scholarship is to provide financial assistance to meritorious students who come from low-income families to meet a part of their day-to-day expenses while pursuing higher studies. Only those students who fulfilling the eligibility criteria will get the scholarship. So we are giving here the details like selection process, the procedure for renewal of scholarship, reservation and eligibility criteria.
Eligibility Criteria For Department of Higher Education Scholarship
Students who score above 80 percentile in the relevant stream from the respective Board of Examination in class XII of 10+2 pattern or equivalent and pursuing regular courses in colleges/ Institution recognized by AICTE, UGC Act, 1956, Medical Council of India, Dental Council of India and respective regulatory authorities and not availing benefit of any other scholarship scheme including State-run scholarship schemes/ Fee waiver and reimbursement scheme are eligible for this scheme.
Students who pursuing Diploma courses are not eligible for this scheme.
Reservation Criteria For Department of Higher Education Scheme
There is reservation available for the students who belong to reserved categories/ weaker section/ minorities.
Students who belong to the above mention category are eligible for the scholarship on the basis of merit, subject to central reservation policy and Internal earmarking.
The Reservation Criteria for Various Categories are as follows
|Name of The Category||Criteria|
|Scheduled Castes (SCs)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribes (STs)||7.5%|
|Other Backward Classes (OBCs)||27%|
|Physically Handicapped / Persons with Disabilities (PwDs)||5%|
How To Apply And Selection Process
- Every year in the month of June- July the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) will be opened online and interested student can apply for the scholarship through the website scholarships.gov.in.
- Students who pass class XII of the current academic year and score 80 percentile of the respective State Education Boards (SEBs) are eligible for the scheme and can apply on NSP portal before the last date. The physical application would not be accepted.
- The verification of the Online Application Form will be done in two levels: By the Institute where the student is studying, By the respective State Education Board.
- Candidates required to submit the documents like class 12th marksheet, Income certificate to the Institute.
- The application will be considered as invalid if it is not verified by the Institute or by the concerned state education board or by both.
- Merit list as per the state allocated quota would be generated from the verified application.
Rate Of Scholarships
The rate of scholarship
|Rs. 10000/- PA||At graduation level for the first three years of colleges and Universities courses|
|Rs. 20000/- PA||For Post-graduation level|
|In case if the students who pursuing professional courses where the duration, of course, is 5 years/ Integrated courses would get Rs. 20000/- PA in the 4th and 5th Year.|
|While those students who pursuing technical courses like B.Tech, B. Engg will get the scholarship up to graduation level.|
Parental Income Ceiling
The income of parental/ family is Rs. 8 LPA for all categories under the scheme. For fresh candidate Income certificate is required.
Benefits of The Scheme
In order to take benefit under the central scheme of scholarship for college and university students, an individual shall furnish proof of possession of Aadhaar or undergo Aadhaar authentication. Till the time Aadhaar is assigned to the individual, following alternative can be used.
- Voter Card
- Aadhaar Enrolment ID slip
- Driving License
- PAN Number
- Application made for Aadhaar Enrolment
- Certificate of identity having photo of such member issued by a Gazetted Officer or a Tehsildar on an official letter head
- Identity card issued by the college or institute or university.
- Any document with photo specified by the state
Also candidates required to have the bank accounts opened, with their name for availing the benefits under the scheme. The scholarship will be disbursed directly into bank accounts of the beneficiaries through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode.
In order to check the payment status, student can track their payment status from the template “Know Your Payment” in PFMS Portal either by indicating Aadhaar number or Bank Account Number.
Procedure For Renewal of Scholarship
Students who received fresh/ renewal scholarship through NSP and pass class XII can apply online through the NSP Portal. The 50% and above criteria will be applicable prospectively i.e. for renewals becoming due from 2019-20 onwards.
Renewal applications sent directly to the Ministry of Human Resource Development shall not be accepted.
|Name of The Scheme||Download Link|
|Central Sector scheme of scholarships for college and university students|
We provided here complete details of the scholarship for the Department of Higher Education. If there are any queries please tell us through the comment box given below. We will reply to the answer of your queries as soon as possible.
Department of Higher Education: Official Site